A little about us
Feeling the need for fellowship back in 1913, two Seventh-day Adventist ladies in the South Denver area decided to worship together. Mrs. M. W. Tobias opened her home to Mrs. Green and her children and several neighbors in what we might call a "branch Sabbath School." The next year, when the group had grown to 29 and was called the Southside Mission, it became necessary to move into larger quarters at Iliff and Cherokee.
On May 25, 1916 the company organized into a church with Elder George Anglebarger as pastor and 16 charter members. The church continued to grow and Woodman Hall at Broadway and Iowa was rented. The need for expansion became critical and in 1920 land was donated at South Sherman and Mexico and a church building started. Opening services for the new Southside church were held on Christmas day.
Meanwhile, Porter Sanitarium and Hospital had opened on South Downing and a Sabbath School was started in the lounge of the north wing in 1930. Members worshiped during the 11 o'clock hour at Southside until 1937 when the Porter church was organized. In 1950, the new Porter chapel was built. By 1954, more adequate facilities were necessary so the Church of God sanctuary at Marion and Iliff was rented.
Southside was also in need of larger quarters so it was decided to join the congregations and build one structure adequate for both and suitable for evangelistic meetings. The union of the two churches took place in August, 1955, at the Second Christian Reformed church, South Ogden and Jewell. The Emmanuel Methodist church, diagonally across from our present location, was kind enough to share its facilities until our building was completed.
Ground breaking on land donated by Porter Hospital took place July 14, 1958 and the opening service for the new Denver South Seventh-day Adventist church was held October 15, 1960. The years of fundraising was climaxed on February 22, 1963 when the edifice was dedicated debt free. Membership had grown at this time to 880.
The $438,000 structure was designed and built by Don Kirkham with Gordon Gates serving as building chairman. Facilities included seating for 1,100 in the sanctuary, 200 in the youth chapel, and two mothers' rooms. The baptismal painting was donated by Charles H. Byron, a Colorado artist. Windows were of amber glass imported from Denmark.
We want to worship God through surrendering to Christ, sharing the Gospel, and serving our neighbors
We are a Spirit-filled church fully reflecting Christ’s love.